Hi, my name is Emma and I am started chasing my dreams in my late twenties. A few years later and I have become even braver with my goals, they have gotten bigger and bolder! Read more about me here.
I am setting up this website and blog to help you with your dreams and thought I would share the process as I go with this series ‘I’ve got dreams set up’.
Hopefully this will be useful for you; not only in sharing the practical side of things but also being open about my goals, what I hope to achieve and what my big dreams are.
How ivegotdreams.com begins
So to get you up to speed and to truly start from the beginning here’s how I have got to this very early point.
Last week my partner and I had a ‘business meeting’ (we went to a coffee shop with some notebooks) that I had planned the week before. I was beginning to get tired of my day to day life, earning little money and being frustrated that I am no better off than I was ten years ago. We have had some amazing experiences over the past three years don’t get me wrong (more on those another time) where we lived in different European cities and I was lucky enough that I didn’t have to work. Coming back to reality and low paid work has pushed me into wanting to change my life.
Back to reality
Now we are back to reality and I realise I don’t want to carry on like this, so I headed to YouTube (of course!) for inspriration and watched lots of videos on how others have changed their lives. I watched countless hours of YouTube videos on people remote working and travelling the world but most of the ones I watched ended up being about making money online…this is what got me excited. Very excited. If we could make money online doing something we enjoy we could travel and live wherever we want.
Business meeting for 2
So off we went to the coffee shop and brainstormed a ton of ideas and both of us came away with good plans on what we want to do with our lives. I’ve got dreams being one of my plans, we also have some really good ideas on things to work on together, ways for me to earn a little extra straight away, saving money, and a fresh dose of motivation and desire to accomplish our goals.
If this sounds like something you would like to do then I would suggest following the 10 steps below.
10 steps to decide on your goals
- Set aside a specific day to brainstorm, whether it is with yourself, a friend, or partner etc.
- Go to a coffee shop and take along some notepads, pens, and an open mind.
- Be prepared to be honest and to hear some truths…especially if your doing this with your partner.
- Start brainstorming about what you want out of life…travel, family, money, success, a home, a sports car etc. If you have different goals, that’s ok! You can compromise, merge goals or agree to do both!
- Think about how you want your day to day life to be, where you would like to be based etc.
- Next think about how you can and how you would like to earn money. Write down all possibilities…not matter how far fetched or silly they might sound. It opens your mind to more ideas and you can cross them off later. We started with becoming movie stars, stupid and unrealistic but it helps open the mind! We also included part-time work on our list knowing that it’s a great way to get a little extra cash if needed.
- Discuss ideas, research suggestions online, encourage each other and suggest strengths the other person might not have thought of.
- Make a plan! Write down some actions and deadlines.
- Get started!
- Seriously, get started. Don’t be put off because you don’t know how to do something or it all seems ridiculous. Realise that you are capable of learning, lots of other people (less smart than you) have done it, and there is so much information online to guide you.
One of my favourite quotes is:
“The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.” Chinese proverb
That’s my first post and my first action to making my dreams come true. I plan on sharing this journey with you and everything I learn along the way; including the mistakes!
If you have any thing you would like to add to the 10 steps above please leave a comment, I would love to hear what you have to add.